Debugging in Visual Studio and Eclipse, Hotkey Consistency

Most developers become accustom to hotkeys and shortcut key strokes.  I, for one, cannot live without them, but there is one thing that drives me crazy and that’s debugging with different key bindings between Visual Studio and Eclipse.  I’ll have to admit, that I should probably keeps with the Eclipse key bindings when it comes to debugging, but I’ve grown custom to Visual Studios F5, F10, F11.  To make my life a pleasant one, I like to modify Eclipse’s key binding when it comes to debugging.  Follow the step below to achieve just this.

1.  Open Eclipse and go to Window^Preferences.  Select the section General->Keys.  I like to sort the items by Binding so that the ones to modify are all clumped together.

image

2.  Modify the following items show in the diagram below.  Unbind the Refresh for “When=In Windows”, otherwise two operations will be bound to F5.

image

 

If you want to go the other way around and modify Visual Studio, then open Visual Studio and navigate to Tools^Options.  Select section Environment->Keyboard.

image

No comments: